Tuesday, June 11, 2013

London's Calling....

Evening all,

Being a small business owner can be incredibly rewarding but can also be incredibly stressful...(now there's a word that keeps reappearing in my blogs). When things start really mounting up & I know I am hitting a wall I book a flight to London, where my vbf , Jeremy, puts me up, looks after me, takes me to the hippest joints in London, listens to my woes (in very small doses) dishes out some no nonsense advice, runs me lovely smelly bubbly baths, takes me for breakfast in places where Bucks Fizz is part of the full English....

Tomorrow I'm off & it couldn't come at a better time.

Yesterday was one of those days which was a true mix of great news & not so great news. I got a call from a client most people would kill to have on their client portfolio.We had worked together before, but a  decision from the top two years ago, meant I was replaced with a new kid on the block..."nothing personal...client likes to mix things up...no problem using you again....etc..", yet it didn't seem like it was ever going to happen and now it seems like it will. I've been keeping in contact, letting them know I'm still here, still hungry for business & still the best small producer in the fresh food market. The client called me yesterday, beaming down the phone... I am back in the mix....I'll tell you more when it happens for real...meeting next Thursday, with orders to start immediately.

I got that great news on my way to my "Going for Growth" monthly meeting...it was when I left that the not so good news came, something I had worked tirelessly on for for months was being canned. Everybody around me was relieved, they could see how much I'd put into it & felt I had given too much already & that the expectation from the other side was never going to be met. I'm upset, but I will get over it and I've learnt a valuable lesson...about written contracts...managing expectations.....

Yes, I can be available 24/7, you can have my ideas, access to my talents ...

....but it will cost ya....

I am really excited about this London trip, tomorrow evening I'm meeting a gang I used to work with in The Independent, for the reunion of a colleague, who is coming home from Australia. Jeremy & I worked there together, whereby all accounts ....whilst talented, I was totally unmanageable (he was my boss). On Thursday I'm meeting my beloved friend M. who I met on day one at UCD where we studied Irish, many years ago...  she now...works for a top bank  where she is a serious player... I'm meeting her at the bank, which we will follow with drinks & a catch up in Gordon's Wine Bar.

 A few years ago she  found God in a way that I find both admirable & amusing in equal measures....last night she called....wanted to run something by me...on Thursday night there is dinner for the women from her church in Fulham......she was just wondering...and feel free to say no....but...em....would I like to attend with her......

I would LOVE to....I told her...

So on Thursday night, this hippie food producing chick, will be forgoing the nightlife of Soho, for dinner in Fulham, with the gorgeous M. & her bible worshipping friends (all 25 of them), who mean so much to her....I am honoured that she asked me...

I just hope to my God they serve alcohol...


Bon Soir,

Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment