Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Them's the breaks ...Part 4

Hi there,

Sorry I haven't been in touch for the past few weeks. I've been very busy & mentally exhausted, there is always so much to do and trying to get myself & Mr Bigs new working relationship off the ground has been quite a challenge. Mr Big takes some managing....After agreeing to do something really funky with the packaging...."it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" he told me in response to my concern about tinkering with a well established logo...."don't you worry about that....."  reality kicked in & suddenly my creative goddess & myself were left with a situation where he wanted to merge our fab funky colourful graphics with a long established traditional logo.......DISASTER. Frankly it looked awful and having started the ball rolling on this one..I had no doubt where the finger would point, when Mr Big realised the same.

Mr Big doesn't answer his phone, his mail box is always full....Today I needed to talk to him, get some decisions...A quick text.."Can you call me URGENTLY" worked a treat. As I said before at this stage we need each other....I need to learn as much as I can about  mass market volume production....he needs his fridges full on Monday morning...with produce produced under his brand....Today, I found a solution to the packaging design, I will use his existing labelling with the traditional logo intact, but will have our graphics printed separately & apply them to the packaging....we will merge the old & the new....it will look great....

This is a risky venture for us @ The Delicious Food Co....all our sandwiches are made on gorgeous breads from artisan bakeries, Arun & Bretzel on the morning of delivery. But the reality is that the majority of people  who buy prepacked sandwiches buy them in wedge boxes, and they buy thousands of them....this client sells up to 1,000 sandwiches a week, from Monday I'll be making them...I'll also be making all his salads. It's a different market, but our core philosophy of making all our food with love & care will continue...it's just that the bread will be....em...a  tad more robust with the help a preservative or two. The margins are really tight on this one, so it's all about volume. It's really exciting and challenging...we're nearly there, tomorrow Mr Big will get  samples of everything....as well as a letter outlining my terms & conditions of sale which he has agreed to, but which I don't think he heard...

This will be a match made in heaven or will all end in tears....We're still in our bungee jumping gear Mr Big & me...but there's no going back now...

on Monday we go to the edge of the cliff and we JUMP.....


Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment