Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Happy Life.....

Evening all,


Yesterday was Mr Delicious birthday and he celebrated by staying in his PJ's all day & watching telly....he was also nursing one hell of a sore head after a wonderful evening with our friends Fiona & Tom who cooked us a fabulous Indian dinner.

Mr Delicious works far too hard. He's up & gone before 5.30 everyday, collecting the bread from The Bretzel & Arun bakeries for our wonderful sandwiches & he's often not home til late.This evening as I cooked my third Sunday roast dinner EVR, I noted that it's been quite a while since he's cooked a dinner at home at all. We have been catering for lunch almost continually for the last month out in UCD, so dinners chez nous has been a selection of delicious leftovers from VIP lunches....Asian Salmon....Guinness Beef Stews, Pepper Pot Beef...Plum Chicken....a choice of two each evening....

You really cannot believe how totally unappetising another leftover catering dish can be after a while. So last night despite a choice of Thai Chicken Curry or Salmon Steaks, when I suggested a "fish & chip" supper Mr Delicious was more excited than had I suggested dinner in Chapter One.....

There is nothing quite like a chip supper, a soft egg, a glass of milk & some white bread, for a lazy day & a hangover...

We had decided to defer the birthday celebrations to today, which involved him going to work early, whilst I printed out endless labels...him coming home to watch the rugby , then going back to work to make sure everything was done & lock up.....My roast dinner was a triumph...given that I did it all by myself......(I told you I can't cook.)...my cauliflower cheese would have given my mother's quite a run for her money...

The kids made a delicious birthday cake...& as he blew out the candles they said ..........."make a wish"....." to be rich" came the chorus from the little darlings....and without a moments hesitation Mr Delicious replied..
"I am rich"

You know something he's right, being rich is not just about the bank balance, it's about quality of life, having fun.....family & friends....but I can't help thinking that an improvement in the bank balance would make life a lot more fun.....& that's the challenge for next year....more focus, more clients, more money,
& lots, lots more fun,,,


What constitutes a happy life?
Enough money to meet your needs
steady work
a comfortable fire
a clear distance from law
a minimum of city business
a peaceful mind and a healthy body
simple wisdom and firm friends
enjoyable dinners and plain living
nights free from care
a virtuous wife who’s not a prude
enough sleep to make the darkness short
contentment with the life you have,
avoiding the sneer, the poisoned sigh;
no fear of death
and no desire to die.
(A Happy Life by Brendan Kinneally)

Have a great week.

Shirley xx

No comments:

Post a Comment